Monday, October 15, 2007

What a Youth Worker does?

"Sit on her lazy arse and play games with young people" says a young person standing over my shoulder as I write this blog. Personally I would like to believe that I do a little more then that! My job as Livingstone Shire Council's Youth Worker is to Co-run the VerbYL Youth Lounge; which is open Thursday and Friday 3 - 7pm and Saturday 1-6pm. In addition to specialty programs such as Wednesday Verbylizers 3-5pm and 18+ Social Group 7-10pm Wednesday. At verbYL my focus responsibilities lie in engaging with young people, offering an information and referral service. For more information on verbYL Youth Lounge visit www.verbyl.net.au

My job outside of verbyl is to facilitate the Livingstone Shire Youth Council, youth events such as Youth Week and Schoolies Week, support and encorouge youth groups and initatives. In addition to networking with other Youth Service providers, identifying service gaps, creating, developing and implementing youth projects, programs and events.

One of the best parts of my job is meeting and getting to know so many amazing, talented and facinating young people.

A main part of my job is to offer a information and referral service hence I am inviting any young people who have questions or are seeking information, guidence or help to post this request anonymously through comments on this blog or email me on c.neiland@livingstone.qld.gov.au.

In a nutshell I try as hard as I can to increase the opportunities and services available for young people in the region. And in the process get grey hair trying!

I look forward to hearing your response to my first blog.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU ROCK... EVEN THOUGH THIS IS YOURSELF COMPLIMENTING YOURSELF!!

Anonymous said...

WOW i want to be a Youth Worker. Grey hair at 20 sounds great!!!
Your my inspiration!!!

Anonymous said...

Haha u cnt spell fascinating... loser

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

who ever said you can't spell fascinating atleast it's a harder word then you or can't so i guess that makes you the loser haha last laugh is on you

Hippi said...

Thanks for the comments guys and girls! Very observant that you picked up on the spelling error. I think we need to move past my poor spelling though... I reckon if that's the worst habbit I've got I am doing alright!

And as it has been mentioned before by a very wise young person... you have to make the most of what you have... besides I think grey hair is dignified!

R&R Library said...

You're very brave! I can understand the attraction to youth services though - you never know what each day is going to bring. Look forward to reading more!

Hippi said...

Anybody who is interested... I am attempting to figure out what my next blog entry should be - If you want me to write about something in particular please let me know by emailing or posting a comment around a particular topic or question.

DK said...

Followed you through a google search on youth work blogs - good start and looking forward to reading more.

Peace

DK
MediaSnackers Founder

Anonymous said...

Hey Hippi it's dayne i swear to god i'll beat you Jk... on thursday your getting a custard pie in your face! XD, blog more often...

Anonymous said...

wateva u think me or tasz rote i assure u d only 1 i rote is d one about d otha person not bein able to spell you or can't so i wud APPRECIATE it if u didnt look straight at me

Anonymous said...

Hey Hippi!!!!!!
Just wanted to say that we're all missing you and cant wait to see you so hurry up and come back please!

Take Care xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

My coder is trying to persuаde me to mоvе
to .net from РHP. I have alwауs ԁіѕliked the
idеа becаuse of the expenѕes.
Βut he's tryiong none the less. I've been usіng WоrdPress on varіouѕ websites for
about a yeaг and am concerneԁ about ѕwitсhing to аnother plаtform.
I have heаrd fantastіc things about blοgengine.
net. Is there a way I can impoгt all my wοrdpгeѕs posts into іt?
Any κind of help would be greatlу appreciatеd!


my page ... what is a ultrasound